Sustainability, Ethics & Sponsorship
We're a small team and we care about the way we do business.
We are only small, but we are trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible. So far, this is what we do:
- We aim to always source products from responsible suppliers that use sustainable and ethical practices. This includes choosing furniture crafted from natural or recycled materials, and buying from brands who respect Fair Trade principles and use FSC Certified wood.
- The vast majority of the packaging we receive our goods in is recycled. For example, the many shipping pallets we receive are donated to a Jersey company who use them to make home wood burner briquettes, our cardboard is sent for recycling to make more cardboard, our plastic is taken to plastic recycling and any remaining packaging is sent to the 'Energy from Waste' plant to help generate local electricity.
- We group our deliveries together, wherever possible, to minimize our fuel use and time spent on the roads.
- Our shop uses the latest environmentally friendly systems and technology - our glazing is tinted and highly energy efficient, our lighting is LED and on time switches to ensure they all turn off each night. We use LED bulbs in our display lamps and have installed low energy infra-red heating panels to warm the shop when needed. Our doors are all auto-close to help regulate the temperature.
- In addition we're delighted to be a Corporate Sponsor of the National Trust in Jersey. As well as our membership, each month we make a donation which helps the Trust to plant several trees and many metres of hedgerow in our beautiful Island.
What can you do to help?
Don’t throw away your old furniture! We recommend donating it or up-cycling! If you have just bought a new piece of furniture from us it may mean you have an old one that could do with a new home, and what better than to give it a new life by gifting to charity or donating it someone who can make good use of it in their home. As well as making someone happy, there’s a great added benefit to the environment!
As a small business we care deeply about what we do, and how we do it. We want all of our customers to be really happy about their experience with Pebble and the service they receive.
We are committed to our team members and pay above the Living Wage (as opposed to the minimum wage), and we are an equal-opportunities employer. In addition we have a range of staff benefits that aim to make working at Pebble rewarding, fulfilling and fun. If you'd like to come and join us then please check out the Careers at Pebble section on our website where we list any vacancies and how you can get in touch.
Our values inform how we behave and operate, and indeed when we look for new suppliers we like to understand and get to know them too to ensure we are all on the same page.
We always look to use local, Jersey-based, companies first to help us in the day to day running of our business. We believe in supporting local and like to support other small businesses wherever possible. We also stock and supply some products from Jersey-based businesses to give them an additional sales channel and to help raise their profile to our customers.
We also welcome and act upon feedback, and regularly ask our customers how we did - if you'd like to give us any feedback please feel free to email us at email@example.com. Equally, if you wish to complain about any aspect of our service please let us know and we'll do our best to resolve it.